POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) : Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:42:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers)
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 3 Jan 1999 00:16:50
Message: <368EFDA0.1002F2B4@geocities.com>
Well, if people really needed cross-platform 'dll's, you could always go
the route of setting up JNI hooks and writing the 'dll' in Java. That way
you'd have bytecodes that would run on many platforms. (Or maybe...
POV-Ray could be made to call a Java method. That Java method could be
set up to in turn call a platform-specific native module via JNI, or just
fall back to a pure Java implementation, and could even switch
dynamically at run-time. Arrrggghhh! No.....! Stop!!! my head hurts....)

Of course, with the speed factor and all, especially with raytracing, I
would definitely say don't do that. Just stick to good clean C.