POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) : Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:51:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers)
From: Daren Scot Wilson
Date: 2 Jan 1999 13:18:24
Message: <368E1CDB.551DDE99@pipeline.com>
Lance Birch wrote:

> Dlls are only supported by the Windows operating system... Dynamic Link
> Libraries.  The function calls necessary to use a Dll simply don't exist in
> other operating systems. (They have their own special ways of doing things)

Actually, Linux and other unix-like OSs have DLLs, though maybe not
normally called by that name.  In 1988 (ten years ago) I read a manual
for SunOS version 3.something and it described DLLs.  That was before I
heard of Microsoft Windows.     For Linux and most other unixes, the
resulting DLL files are named not like wonderful.dll but like
libwonderful.so.

I have used isosurfaces on Linux, and it was easy, though I don't see
how a non-programmer could use it.

What I don't know is which OSs *don't* support DLLs (by any name)?

I have some thoughts on implementing isosurface w/o any kind of DLLs -
see the programming newsgroup.
--
Daren Scot Wilson
dar### [at] pipelinecom