POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [Idea] User Documentation Project : Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:06:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 1 Jan 1999 23:52:03
Message: <368DA63C.A455C049@istar.ca>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> My 2 centimes (until Dec 31, 1999)
> I don't think it's necessary to rewrite the help file, which is very good on the
> whole. However, I completely agree that there's a lot to do... Povray has become
> so powerful that my lingering "fear" is to see it becoming more
> programmer-oriented than user-oriented. But that's another debate...
> Perhaps we can distinguish between what would be the enhancement of the current
> help (basically a more practical tutorial on media, macros, and radiosity, that
> could be integrated in the present help), and an "applied tips" section (how to
> get better lighting, how to do realistic skies, water, how to make a tree with a
> recursive macro etc.) fed by users.

I have been scared off long, long ago (about 8 minutes after downloading it,
actually :)

This is why I use Moray. And I, for one, would love to see more non coding
explanations of things like media. The manual gives code examples, but this doesn't
tell me much about what media is, and what it does. And more importantly, how to use
it properly.

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet