POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Far objects are pruned???!!! : Re: Far objects are pruned???!!! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Far objects are pruned???!!!
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 30 Dec 1998 18:39:01
Message: <368AB92E.BB92D7FC@iro.umontreal.ca>
Matthew Bennett wrote:

> <snip>
> >However, after toying with objects, I've discovered that
> >the bug is related to spheres and ellipsoids. A cube a couple
> >of thousand miles wide set at a quarter millon miles is visible
> >(as a pixel, granted, but still visible). A sphere, 6 k miles wide,
> >(assuming a pov unit is 1 meter) at 292 000 miles is not visible.
> <snip>
>
> Rather than a bug that only effects these shapes, could it not just be that
> a sphere's image is less clear than a squares from the same distance?  For
> example, looking straight at at, a cube will show up as a solid, pretty much
> evenly shaded square.  A sphere will however be more of a brighter point
> with dimmer edges around it.  Perhaps, at these distances, it is the less
> visible properties of the sphere that makes POV decide there's not enough
> light to plot a pixel - unlike the cube, which may just have enough light
> from it's apparently brighter side to appear as one.

NO, I _did_ check for that. That was my first thought... then I set
the sphere's color to Yellow*2 on a black background... That should have
been enough...

> Just my 2 pence :)
>
> Matt

Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. Student.
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topics: data compression,
pig### [at] jspumontrealca          signal processing,
ste### [at] researchattcom           non stationnary signals
                                  and wavelets.
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon