POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Far objects are pruned???!!! : Re: Far objects are pruned???!!! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Far objects are pruned???!!!
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 30 Dec 1998 01:38:30
Message: <3689CAA4.708CC439@flash.net>
Matthew Corey Brown - XenoArch wrote:

> Due to prescion limitations of Float math, Povray is compiled
> by default with the following:
>
> Anything below 0.001 is considered 0.0
> Anythung beyond +/- 1e7 is non exsistant
>
> Don't try to be 100% accurate. Povray isn;t a physics real
> world modeler. its an Artistic Program. As long as it looks
> right to you then its accurate =}
>
> "fixing" the source will give prescion errors.

POV sets its limits rather conservatively, and in some cases
does calculations in a fashion which make it more susceptible
to precision limits than it needs be.... doing things like taking
squares and squareroots in nonoptimal sequence.

I agree, though -- there often isn't a need to use such large numbers,
as I pointed out.

Dan