POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [Idea] User Documentation Project : Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:27:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project
From: darenw
Date: 30 Dec 1998 00:15:00
Message: <368970C6.150ED209@pipeline.com>
Dan Connelly wrote:

> Still, these examples are not extremely well organized.  A coherent
> framework might prove useful.

Being a geek, I find it natural to go spelunking through examples and
reference manuals, but even I often get stuck on something and want to
quickly look up the syntax, the correct spelling, etc.   So a
concept-oriented organization would be very useful.   Rending of existing
examples is not enough - a discussion of these examples is needed.  Yet I'd
skip that, as someone learning POV-Ray or an experienced artist needing to
use an unusual feature would want examples tuned to just that concept.
Combining too many concepts in one example makes it hard to distinguish them.

OTOH, this does not mean that every image that illustrates a concept should
be simple.   Example .pov files should be kept simple, but other images that
show specific concepts, for example, how superellipsoid shapes vary with its
parameters, should be made easy for the eyes to take in, and that may mean
using more than simple lighting and textures.

In short, i see the need for different kinds of images  (1) those that are
tutorial examples of POV-Ray coding, which must be kept simple, and (2) Those
that illustrate various concepts, whose .pov source are not to be shown to
the end user (unless they're very curious).