POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray 3.1 for Unix : Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix
From: darenw
Date: 29 Dec 1998 22:48:11
Message: <36895C68.A738BA7C@pipeline.com>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> I thought that except for the X-window version, the whole povray code is
> totally portable ANSI C code, which can be compiled as is. And since the
> X-window code already exists from pov 3.0, why isn't it possible to just
> take the same code to 3.1?

(It's two weeks later, nothing new has happened...the world still awaits an
offical unix / xwindows povray 3.1)

Yeah, why?  Indeed, several people have already done this privately, and AFIK it
didn't take any one of them more than part of a day.       To wit, Ron Parker
did this a couple months ago.  That inspired me to try it myself, and it took
only about one hour.   (Couldn't have done my color dispersion patch w/o it.)
Someone else also did this, announced it in either this newsgroup or the
.programming one.
   We just need to make one of our unofficial x-window hacks more widel
available, as binaries, for all the non-programmers.   What's keeping the
POV-Team from just doing it themselves?

   I fear they are adding some fancy complicated feature - a text editor - that
most of us unix/linux users won't ever use.   Adding a text editor would be
foolish.   I love nedit, and will never consider using any other editor (though
as a practical matter I use the email editor provided in Netscape).    There are
many unixes who love emacs (or vi or pico) and would never give it up or use
anything else.

   OTOH, I wouldn't mind a dialog for all the rendering settings, just click a
button for a quick render, click another for a final image, etc.  but such a
thing shouldn't be added into the POV-Ray code, not even in the x-windows
specific subdirectory.   The approach of XFPovray is best - anyone can make
their own front end.

  Maybe they've got something totally different up their sleeves?

Daren Scot Wilson