POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh Memory Usage : Re: Mesh Memory Usage Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh Memory Usage
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 28 Dec 1998 23:14:59
Message: <36885783.2552649F@flash.net>
Ken wrote:

> Hi !
>
>   I was under the impression that a mesh object once declared
> used only as much memory as the parent group would alone and
> any child groups would use no more memory.

This isn't correct.  Each of the instances of the master mesh still
has state which must be defined.  It has spatial coordinates, orientation, scale,
texture, etc.  The only thing which is shared is the location of the points
within the mesh. But in your case, with only 10 triangles, this is relatively
a small allocation, so thousands of copies of a single mesh is still
quite resource-intensive.

Dan