POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [Idea] User Documentation Project : Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project Server Time
10 Aug 2024 20:57:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project
From: Ken
Date: 26 Dec 1998 21:32:26
Message: <36859BDF.F8247A4C@pacbell.net>
Twyst wrote:

> A friend of mine suggested that we try to cover the gap caused by the
> absence of "Ray Tracing Creations" --- Maybe do a much updated version of
> that. IE.. as Gilles Tran said - A supplemental volume, that while not
> encompassing the pov-ray docs, DOES go through and expand on topics, like an
> indepth on CSG, beziers, etc,etc...
>
> If the Pov-Team says "Don't use the povray docs.." we might look at doing
> this. Or maybe do this from the start... After all, at the moment, nothing
> is set in stone. This is just tossing ideas around right now. =)
>
> Twyst

  I've kept quite on this waiting to see where it might go
opion wise and from what I have seen so far indicates leaving
the docs alone and writing a comprehensive Pov tutorial. A good
place to start would be based on the Pov VFAQ and of course the
areas already mentioned needing further clarification.
  It's my impression there is a lot left lacking in the docs but
there are also a lot of misconceptions about what the program will
and will not do. Perhaps this project could also touch on these
subjects as well. Having this supplement bundled with the program
might be a good idea but would need authorization from the Pov team
and they would have to agree with the content. That shouldn't be a
problem if it's well organized and comprehensive in it's approach.

Areas I feel need covered:

 1. Media
 2. Animation
 3. Radiosity
 4. The Texture and Pigment process
 5. Conditional statments
 6. What is in and what is out (the Pov surface normal)
 7. CSG operations - goes with above
 8. The camera statement - Seems simple now but there was a time ...
 9. When to use an external program, include file, etc...
10. How to convert the output from the above to useful syntax in Pov
11. Macros !!!

  That's just a few and my poor old fingers are getting tired already.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet