POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need help with 'normal' : Re: Rendering - HELP ! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering - HELP !
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 20 Dec 1998 09:13:18
Message: <367d05fe.0@news.povray.org>
raven <stu### [at] iolcz> wrote:
: For rendering I use your very great
: program POVRay 3.0.

  It's not my program ;)

: But I have a little problem with rendering time.

  Raytracing IS slow, you know.

: Now I render a scene
: with 349 objects, 7 spotlites and 4 AreaLights.

  The number of lights affect very strongly the rendering times. More light
sources, slower rendering. Specially with area lights.
  Try to reduce, if possible, the number of area lights and the number of
light sources in general. When you use area lights, make them spotlights
(area spotlights are legal in povray) if the light only illuminates certain
area of the scene. When an area light is also a spotlight, povray will make
area light calculations only in the illumination cone of the light and nowhere
else. This can significantly increase rendering speed.
  I suppose you have used adaptive area lights, don't you?

: On the bootom bar in MoRay I
: read these values: 66572 V (69%), 107636 E (63%), in "Advanced" window I
: have set: Memory in kB to use for Vertices: 3000, Memory in kB to use for
: Edges: 2000, Minimum number of lines to draw before refreshing 1000, Maximum
: number of lines to draw before refreshing 2000.

  These options have absolutely nothing to do with povray, and changing them
will not affect povray rendering time in any way. They are only internal
settings of moray (they affect the wireframe seen in moray). Povray doesn't
use meshes (vertices, edges, etc) unless you specifically add a triangle
mesh to the scene.

: The picture has size: 2048 x
: 1536, Antialiasing on, Radiosity On.

  Radiosity is another cpu-hog. Check your radiosity settings. Changing them
may increase rendering speed noticeably without loosing quality very much.
For example a slightly bigger error_bound and a bigger distance_maximum
may speed up rendering a lot, but may also produce less-quality radiosity
and even visible errors.
  See also if you can turn radiosity completely off and use shadowless dim
light sources to fake radiosity effects instead. In many cases you can
achieve very acceptable results this way.

: My machine: Pentium II - 266 MHz,
: grafic card ATI - 8 MB, 192 MB RAM, size of Virtual Memory 250 MB, Free disc
: memory - 800 MB. I am rendering this picture 3 days and 7 hours and is ready
: 74 % only.

  I don't think it's any mistake you have done. This is a normal behaviour
since you have lots of area lights and radiosity, and that surely takes
time to render.

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/