POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray 3.1 for Unix : Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 15 Dec 1998 04:15:15
Message: <36762897.80A2B70C@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Hi Axel!

Axel Hecht wrote:

> Hey guess what, they do :-)
>
> To clarify the important thing:
> I was not talking about the povray-team releasing something. I was
> talking about an agreement between users on unix-platforms and patchers
> on ONE unofficial version. This will lead into more or less trouble if
> the povray-team releases something, but that's a more or less distant
> (timely) problem.

I fear that there is no real solution to that and the work done on
patches for this agreed unofficial version could be totally wasted. That
would be sad thing to do. Well the POVray team could be so nice and take
this into account when releasing their own official version but there is
no guarantee for that. You might try!

> Now on to the religious wars :-(. You brought up the term *free*.

No wars please!! Don't have time for that. :-)

> Well....
> Povray is 'free' of monetary charge. If it would be *free* in that .....
> sense, the unix-versions might have been out before anything else (just
> guessing, how many hackers don't contribute to Povray because of
> religious license ideas).
> Povray is not free free, but the povray-team owns the intellectual
> property rights (put in here something more appropriate for lawyers).
> And so, citing the german Grundgesetz, 'Eigentum verplichtet' (property
> goes along with responsibility), I really think, the povray-team should
> care about a unix-release. That is
> either providing one or giving reasons for not doing so.

Yes, they should care and I am sure they will! What I tried to say in my
last response is that the POVray-Team is spending their spare time for
this project. This is to my opinion a high sacrifice.
I think they first cared for the Windows platform because this is what
most of the user are using (and maybe they use it too). I fear that the
supporters of UNIX platform are few in the team and there is a lot of
work to do (especially the editor in 3.1).

I believe it would be a good idea to ask them directly in a polite way
what's up. I'am sure that they are open to your reasonable request
(well, I think it is reasonable).

Greetings to my hometown,

Marc

--