POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D Math (Reply to Spider) : 3D Math (Reply to Spider) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  3D Math (Reply to Spider)
From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 15 Dec 1998 01:22:05
Message: <3676016C.47DB0D4E@virginia.edu>
I tweaked your code a bit... First thing I did was actually translate
the spheres (which I made larger at a radius of 0.25.  Then I changed
your random functions to rand(s)*(Radius * 2) - Radius so that the
values could be positive or negative.  Now, I expected I would be
treated to a roughly spherical shape made up of spheres.  Wrong.  I got
a roughly cubical shape made up of spheres.  This is baffling me,
because your test should eliminate the corners (The corners would occur
when all of vd's vector components were 11s (positive and negative) but
that should end up having a distance greater than 11.  I guess you could
revert to the trig.  (triangles and all...but damned if the distance
formula shouldn't have worked...)

Steve
(I'll be messing with this, email me if you like and we'll figure this
sucker out)