POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Snow : Re: Snow Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snow
From: Lance Birch
Date: 14 Dec 1998 22:58:06
Message: <3675de4e.0@news.povray.org>
The easiest (gulp, not really) way to do this is make a particle system.
For the particles use triangles, although they sound rather primitive, they
do produce a good looking snow because of the way the light reacts with them
as they tumble.  It might be hard to simulate this with POV-Ray.  I oce
tried to make a particle system with POV-Ray but ended in failure.  The only
really good snow I was able to make was with MAX's particle dynamics.  Once
again, I used triangles (although facing triangles are a good way to start,
by facing I mean camera normalised).  This is the best way to go about
animating it.  If you're planning on doing any kind of animation it's best
of have a particle system (perhaps POV-Ray's macros would help, I've never
used macros so I wouldn't know, I presume it's like MAXScript, in which case
it would help tremedously!).  There are a few particle simulators out there
but I'm not sure if you could convert the particles to POV-Ray.

--
Lance.

---
For the latest MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone