POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray 3.1 for Unix : Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 14 Dec 1998 13:26:02
Message: <36755856.AB555064@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Hey guess what, they do :-)

To clarify the important thing:
I was not talking about the povray-team releasing something. I was
talking about an agreement between users on unix-platforms and patchers
on ONE unofficial version. This will lead into more or less trouble if
the povray-team releases something, but that's a more or less distant
(timely) problem.

Now on to the religious wars :-(. You brought up the term *free*.
Well....
Povray is 'free' of monetary charge. If it would be *free* in that .....
sense, the unix-versions might have been out before anything else (just
guessing, how many hackers don't contribute to Povray because of
religious license ideas).
Povray is not free free, but the povray-team owns the intellectual
property rights (put in here something more appropriate for lawyers).
And so, citing the german Grundgesetz, 'Eigentum verplichtet' (property
goes along with responsibility), I really think, the povray-team should
care about a unix-release. That is
either providing one or giving reasons for not doing so.

Axel

PS: If you'd like to respond to the second point, PLEASE, don't argue
about the license, concentrate on the last sentence, thanx.