POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray 3.1 for Unix : Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.1 for Unix
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 14 Dec 1998 08:55:59
Message: <367518EB.6D977A09@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Hi, Axel!

Yes, I'm waiting for an official UNIX version for POV 3.1, too. I think
there are two points that speak against the acceptance of an unofficial
version by the POVray team.
The first one would be the loss of control over their project. By
accepting it they would have to make it sure that the later release is
compatible to the accepted version so that any work by third parties
wouldn't be wasted.
The second point is that for such a semi-offcial version for sure bug
reports will be delivered to official POYray-team, which can be quite
annoying.
I believe the existing unofficial versions for LINUX should do until the
official version is released.
We shouldn't forget that POVray is a *free* program which means that the
people creating it don't see a buck for it, so that they have to earn
their living in other ways. I'm always astonished how I complex software
like povray (or linux) could be created in the spare time by people who
sure have still a life.

Well, this is my opinion. Yours may differ ;-)

Greetings,

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler