POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray 3.1 for Unix : Povray 3.1 for Unix Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 3.1 for Unix
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 14 Dec 1998 08:26:41
Message: <3675122D.61C8B5F0@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Hi there,
I'd like to bring up the discussion about the unix-version for 3.1
again.
I have the feeling, that the povray-team is quite satisfied with the
existing unofficial versions of 3.1, as there are no statements
whatsoever as to when they would release something. They must have been
in a quite final state a while ago (talking about months), as the issued
the request for Solaris-maintainers, to which i weakly volunteered and
got no reply.
I really see only two reasons for the current timeframe:
1) Holydays. A really good one, I agree, but ...
2) Porting Delphi, just to bring the editor to the unix folks :-)

Anyway, I would propose putting one unofficial version in some kind of
'state of confidence', just to give all the patchers something to work
on. In my understanding, users as well as programmers are eagerly
waiting on a 'accepted' version, one version that is known throughout
the community. That would not necessarily be an official one.

Axel