POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dynamic arrays : Re: Dynamic arrays Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dynamic arrays
From: Wayne Gordon
Date: 10 Dec 1998 22:22:09
Message: <36709220.2B84@phoenix.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> 2 problems: first and foremost, POV's #read function doesn't let you specify the
> offset of the read (i.e. it just reads from the start). I wish that would
> change...

Absolutely. You should be able to read the Nth data element in a file,
period.
That way you could skip over unneeded stuff as well as go back to the
beginning
of the file without having to close it. Appending should be more robust
as well.

> And secondly, in the script I mentioned, I have to read a number of previous
> values for each sample for proximity testing. Swapping to disk would make it
> uncomfortably slow (it is slow enough with arrays)
>
> Margus

Maybe you are SOL. Next suggestion....hack the source, write a patch!
8-)