POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS patch? : Re: NURBS patch? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS patch?
From: RagWeed
Date: 8 Dec 1998 02:36:14
Message: <366cd6ee.0@news.povray.org>
Jeff Garzik wrote in message <366CCE44.9BADFD78@pobox.com>...
>Is the a patch or spline->spline conversion utility that will allow
>NURBS surfaces to be rendered with POV?
>
>Thanks,
>
> Jeff

As far as I know there aren't any programs that can actually render a nurbs
surface.  I've always thought they had to be converted to a mesh first.
Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you use Rhino3D.  If so, you can
only output the scene you've made in the form of a mesh.  POV can't take the
info of a nurbs surface and convert it to a mesh, and I don't think there
are any patches that will let you do this either.  It would be a nice
feature though.
I'm going to take another wild guess and say that if you are using rhino,
the files it outputs are huge, and they take forever to parse.  I can only
suggest that you lower the polygon count when you export them.  Unless you
get up really close to your model, you can't tell if it's lost a few
thousand polygons.
Or if you really wanted all those polygons, save them for the final render.
Set your scene up in POV with a low polygon count model, and then when
you're happy, import the big mesh.