POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV render time w/ better PC????? : Re: POV render time w/ better PC????? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV render time w/ better PC?????
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 7 Dec 1998 14:34:09
Message: <366c2db1.0@news.povray.org>
Steven Pigeon wrote:
> .....POV is float-intensive, and the speed up
> is proportionnal to the processor speedup (p2 has better fpu,
> about 30% faster at equal mhz, 2.5 times the mhz on the new
> machine 1.3 x 2.5  = 3.25, which is consistant with the
> observed speedup).
> As for Bryce, I'd guess it is memory-intensive, so that it
> stops swapping with 256 megs of ram.

Which begs the question, could a future improvement of POV be to make it
more "memory-intensive"?

If the question is a dumb one, please forgive me.  I'm an expert (IMHO)
in the materials science behind manufacture of ceramic packaging for
chips, but am quite ignorant of how computers actually work. But could
it be that POV is "using up float-processor space" for things that could
be shoved over to the "memory"?

Also, I think I would have noticed a whole lot of hard disk drive
activity if the old Bryce were swapping out, wouldn't I have?