POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS patch? : Re: NURBS patch? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS patch?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 10 Dec 1998 00:01:49
Message: <366F5600.6182CEFB@Kopp.com>
Jerry Anning wrote:

> I'm not guessing.  They don't.  RenderMan doesn't use simple scanline,
> it uses REYES which is somewhat different.  There are reasonably fast
> ways to do NURBS without triangulating.  Inquire on
> comp.graphics.rendering.renderman and/or comp.graphics.algorithms if you
> are curious.

Thanks!  I think I'll do a search on Dejanews to see if there have been
any discussions in the past.  I usually don't like to jump into a usenet
group without lurking for a while.  Are there any web pages or online
papers regarding the REYES renderer?  (Or is it top-secret Pixar
technology?)  Also, if you know of any web pages or papers about fast
evaluation of NURBS, could you post them so that people can get started
on adding them to POV.  I abandoned my earlier work mostly because it was
really slow (parsing a triangle mesh was quicker than my NURBS evaluation
code).

-Nathan