POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS patch? : Re: NURBS patch? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS patch?
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 9 Dec 1998 14:28:32
Message: <366ECF70.102AA13E@dhol.com>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> BMRT is a true raytrace/radiosity renderer, although it also adheres to the
> Renderman language standard. I am not sure, but I believe BMRT and Renderman
> convert NURBS to triangle meshes internally (after all, POV does this with
> bezier patches, too)

BMRT is indeed a true ray tracer.  It does not at any point convert
NURBS to triangles. Neither does RenderMan.  For that matter, neither
they nor POV convert Beziers to triangle meshes.  POV subdivides Beziers
into smaller Bezier patches until they are flat enough to be considered
rectangles.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom