POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS patch? : Re: NURBS patch? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS patch?
From: Jeff Garzik
Date: 8 Dec 1998 20:35:17
Message: <366DD537.7460B105@pobox.com>
Jerry Anning wrote:
> RagWeed wrote:
> > As far as I know there aren't any programs that can actually render a nurbs
> > surface.  I've always thought they had to be converted to a mesh first.
> > Correct me if I'm wrong though.

> Actually, some programs (e.g. RenderMan, BMRT) work right from the
> NURBS.  They do not convert to a mesh.  In any case, a NURBS patch can
> be converted to a rational bezier patch by using Bohm's method to add
> knots and give the NURBS a 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1 knot vector.  See
> Foley and vanDam.  The rational Bezier could then be rendered with the
> rational Bezier functions of the SuperPatch.  This may not be practical
> in some cases, but it can be done.

Thanks much.  I'm glad I kept my copy of Foley.  :)

I am currently converting NURBS to mesh, and am looking for a method
that uses less memory, and hopefully flies on the FPU monster machine
(500Mhz Alpha) in the computer room.

Patch wizards -- are there any fundamental reasons why NURBS would be
difficult to implement in POV?  Perhaps I could take a crack at working
up a nurbs patch.

	Jeff