POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS patch? : Re: NURBS patch? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS patch?
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 8 Dec 1998 16:56:50
Message: <366DA0B0.FA23AB01@dhol.com>
RagWeed wrote:

> As far as I know there aren't any programs that can actually render a nurbs
> surface.  I've always thought they had to be converted to a mesh first.
> Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Actually, some programs (e.g. RenderMan, BMRT) work right from the
NURBS.  They do not convert to a mesh.  In any case, a NURBS patch can
be converted to a rational bezier patch by using Bohm's method to add
knots and give the NURBS a 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1 knot vector.  See
Foley and vanDam.  The rational Bezier could then be rendered with the
rational Bezier functions of the SuperPatch.  This may not be practical
in some cases, but it can be done.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom