POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Creating planets (2nd) : Creating planets (2nd) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Creating planets (2nd)
From: A  Jans-Beken
Date: 2 Dec 1998 18:17:10
Message: <3665CB69.678DF92@wxs.nl>
At my office I have the possibility to print H U G E colour posters. I
tried to print the BIG_E (Star Trek Enterprise) on this printer but was
dissappointed by the quality of the background planet. I improved it
myself but I didn't get it perfect.

Questions:
- Are there any examples of POV-Planets on internet?
- How can I make a texture (layer) to simulate ice-caps on the poles of
a planet? The lower layers contain textures for sea and earth. This
means that the ice-cap layer must be transparent (except of course at
the poles).
- My cloud layers ( I use two) are to simple. Can I define dents or
wrinkels in my cloud layers? I noticed from TV documentaries about space
shuttle missions that the earth clouds are clearly 3 dimensional while
all cloed textures that I found are two dimensional (wrapped around a
sphere).
- I can't get a nice star-background. The included textures are clearly
(if printed on this BIG printer) not realistic. How can I get a
realistic cosmic background?

I suppose all this is possible, but its to difficult for me.
If there is interrest I am willing to upload the POV file, but credit
should go to the real designer of BIG_E. This file was on the first
official POVRAY CD.

Please answer by e-mail since I am not a frequent visitor of this news
server.