POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : List of bugs : Re: List of bugs Server Time
28 Sep 2024 10:58:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: List of bugs
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 1 Dec 1998 19:05:32
Message: <3664839e.9718234@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 14:49:36 -0500, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>=========================
>Prism bug
>=========================
>  thread: "Potential render bug in POV"
>  bug: Ghost line appears sometimes when rendering a prism.  The
>       cause has not been determined.  Note, the example given
>       is not very good, but all objects except the prism can be
>       removed from the scene and the bug remains.
>  fix: unknown

This one was reported during the 3.0 beta period, in case it
matters (it doesn't.)  I have a scene somewhere that duplicates
it quite noticeably. The problem appears to occur when the
insideness-testing algorithm intersects exactly at a vertex.
I haven't found the exact fix yet, despite years of trying.

>Large EPSILON value in Windows CONFIG.INI
>  thread: -
>  bug: CONFIG.INI in DOS and Windows sets EPSILON to 10e-5, which
>       causes all sorts of problems when rendering very small or very
>       large objects.
>  fix: Change EPSILON to something smaller, like 10e-12

For the sphere scaling bug, at least, someone else suggested a better
fix that adapts to smaller-sized objects without the side-effects of
modifying EPSILON indiscriminately.  Also, you meant config.h. :)