POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optic errors : Re: Optic errors Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:04:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optic errors
From: Ron Parker
Date: 18 Nov 1998 08:25:16
Message: <3652cabc.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 00:40:30 -0000, Rick <kit### [at] dialpipexcom> wrote:
>Are we talking refraction here, ie splitting light into its componat colors?
>
>I tried this a whil ago, and failed to achive results, can this be
>simulated? - without texture maps which kinda defeat the object?

It can be simulated, but only on direct viewing through the prism or
other transparent object.  In other words, you won't be able to do
the album cover from "Dark Side of the Moon".

There's a fairly good treatise on modifying POV 3.02 to do dispersion
effects at http://www.newcolor.com/darenw/dswpov/disp.html , though I
wouldn't recommend trying it unless you're relatively familiar with
the guts of POV.  There's also an include file somewhere that simulates
dispersion, also for version 3.0x, but I don't have a URL for that
handy.