POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Bug with cones : Re: Bug with cones Server Time
28 Jun 2024 01:57:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug with cones
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 17 Nov 1998 21:19:26
Message: <36522E58.1DDFAD29@flash.net>
I strongly suspect this is another manifestation of the
large #define EPSILON 1E-5 in the config.h of Intel platforms....
on UNIX and Mac much smaller values are used.  This was also
responsible for the scaled sphere bug reported earlier in this
forum.  Is there a reason this large epsilon is retained in
3.1?

I also suspect, as was the case with the sphere.c problem,
the calculation in cone.c could be renormalized to avoid the
O(x^2) comparison with EPSILON, and use instead a O(x) comparison.
I will look into this second issue myself as soon as I am able.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/