POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A New Group For Pov-Ray Suggestions : Re: A New Group For Pov-Ray Suggestions Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A New Group For Pov-Ray Suggestions
From: Ken
Date: 16 Nov 1998 14:44:48
Message: <3650804B.EC45BC6D@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> This is based on the assumption that the POV-Team writes things
> because we want them to.  Like most free software projects, POV
> gets things added because they scratch one of the developers'
> personal itches.

As already noted the discussions will happen weather the Povteam hears of
them or not both here and on c.g.r.r. Might as
well at least try to condense them into a single place instead
of across all the groups on this server. And bless the Pov team
if they do read through the ideas and get a new itch. You never
know it might happen. There were a flurry of changes to this last
release because of user input from these news groups during
the last beta testing rounds. This shows that they don't mind some
input from the public at large. This new group could also act as
the beta testing feedback area in future beta realeases of Pov-Ray.
It would help filter the feedback from the general question in
the .gereral subject group.

> I have a list of about 2 dozen things, some small and some not,
> that I'd still like to see added to even the superpatch, which
> already has about that many things that aren't in the official
> release.  Incredibly enough, that's what's left on the list
> after I remove all the impossible stuff.  What's really lacking
> is people who are sufficiently skilled with programming, math,
> and the vagaries of the POV code to implement all of the great
> ideas that are out there.

And I wish I could contribute in this arena but alas I too lackthe skills
to be of any help there.

> If anyone wants to see a forum that's already devoted to
> discussion of just this topic, go to Twyst's PatchStation
> at http://twysted.net/patchstation and check out the forums
> there.  Granted, there hasn't been a lot of discussion there,
> but I suspect that's because it hasn't been well-advertised.

It may serve a purpose but I don't see it having the same bennifits
that my proposed group would have. Certainly the pov team has
enough to do than visit Twyst's dicussion forum. No disrespect
intended.

Ken Tyler