POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A New Group For Pov-Ray Suggestions : Re: A New Group For Pov-Ray Suggestions Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A New Group For Pov-Ray Suggestions
From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Nov 1998 12:18:10
Message: <36505e52.0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 02:02:12 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>   I suggest a new group for the purpose of discussing possible
>changes to Pov-Ray and to aid as a forum for the discussion
>of adding additional features to the program.
>   I have seen both of the above topics being discussed on just
>about every group on this server and it might help to create a
>central repository for the Pov-Team to draw from.

This is based on the assumption that the POV-Team writes things
because we want them to.  Like most free software projects, POV
gets things added because they scratch one of the developers'
personal itches.

I have a list of about 2 dozen things, some small and some not,
that I'd still like to see added to even the superpatch, which
already has about that many things that aren't in the official
release.  Incredibly enough, that's what's left on the list
after I remove all the impossible stuff.  What's really lacking
is people who are sufficiently skilled with programming, math,
and the vagaries of the POV code to implement all of the great
ideas that are out there.

If anyone wants to see a forum that's already devoted to
discussion of just this topic, go to Twyst's PatchStation
at http://twysted.net/patchstation and check out the forums
there.  Granted, there hasn't been a lot of discussion there,
but I suspect that's because it hasn't been well-advertised.