POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anti-Aliasing filter : Re: Anti-Aliasing filter Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:49:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anti-Aliasing filter
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 3 Nov 1998 11:14:21
Message: <363f2bdd.0@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
: If  YOU don't like it DON'T use it.
: It's THAT simple.

  I didn't mean I don't like it. I just want to use the correct terms to
avoid misconceptions.
  You can't calculate antialiasing to a final image. You can only calculate
antialiasing when calculating the image itself. Antialiasing _adds_ infor-
mation to the image. It sees what is "between" the pixels.
  If you just soften the image after it's ready, you are not calculating
antialiasing because you don't know what is "between" the pixels. You have
only the pixels of the image and nothing more. You can average them to
achieve a similar effect to antialiasing, but that's blurring, not
antialiasing.
  I think using the right terms is good, so we can know what people is
talking about.

--
                                                           - Warp. -