POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Female Pov-Ray users : Re: Female Pov-Ray users Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:49:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Female Pov-Ray users
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 2 Jan 1999 08:06:29
Message: <363DAE8D.B5388DB@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Just my two cents!
If you want to see more women using POVray the thing you have to do is
advertise it!

I noticed that there are two ways of introducing someone to raytracing:

1. You tell them that it has to do with higher math a lot of vectors and
programming sciences. This is true, but you don't need to know them all
to use POVray. This way you may be admired by the folks that you show
your pictures (Yeah, I'll like to be admired too ;-) ). It's  just that
nearly everybody I know is freaked away from this.

2. You can show them that raytracing is just another program to be used
and that with help of moray, textures editors etc. you can get fantastic
results very fast. And more important ... A LOT OF FUN!!!!

I may be wrong but many people in this group have admitted that they
have a scientific or engineering background. For them an introduction
shown in (1) wouldn't neccessarily scare them away. If this background
is needed to start with POVray (no, it's not!) than the low number of
female POVray users is explainable because in many scientific or
engineering fields women are still not as numerous as men. I hope this
will change in the future because there is really no reason why they
shouldn't be there. I have a sister who has an engineering degree in
electronics and she knows her stuff well.

Maybe the user documentation program initiated by twyst can help to
bring more non scientific folks to POVray.

Marc
--
Marc Schimmler