POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Can you #declare blob components? : Re: Q: Can you #declare blob components? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:46:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: Can you #declare blob components?
From: Darius Davis
Date: 30 Oct 1998 05:35:08
Message: <363A9250.3FB7@BEGONE.VILE.SPAMMERS.acm.org>
Mike wrote:
> I've been wanting to do this for a long time, really!
>
> Consider this (can your code handle this?):
>
> #declare Blob1 =
> blob {
> threshold .3
> sphere {<0, 0, 0>, 1, 1}
> pigment {color White}
> }
>
> #declare Blob2 =
> blob {
> threshold .3
> sphere {<0, 0, -1>, 1, 1}
> pigment {color Blue}
> }
>
> blob {
> blob {Blob1 translate 1*clock*y}
> blob {Blob2 rotate 30*clock*y}
> }

In a word, yes.  I can't see anything there that would cause a problem.
The translates and rotates on sub-blobs all work OK, I've tested this
extensively.

> Now imagine if you built a bunch of parts for a human using blobs and declared
> each one, then incorporated each part into another one.  You could move the
> parts to make the character walk and talk ect.

The only problem is that each sub-blob component interacts with *every*
other...  it's not possible to limit the interactions between
components, even if the components are within different 'sub-blobs' - at
least, it's not possible in any way I can see :)  So, if you move two
blobbed hands together, they'll interact in the same way that blobs
normally do if they both have the same ultimate 'parent' blob.  I've
thought long and hard about this and I can't think of any way to prevent
it.  (But I'm not going to stop thinking about it yet... ;)

> I think it'll be great.

Well, I've already had some great fun with it!  I think it's great, and
it'd be my personal pleasure to share it with all!

Cheers,

Darius Davis