POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Can you #declare blob components? : Re: Q: Can you #declare blob components? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:44:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: Can you #declare blob components?
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 29 Oct 1998 10:37:09
Message: <36388B8F.A1D318D3@remove-this.reading.ac.uk>
Darius Davis wrote:

> Michael Andrews wrote:
>
> >     Well I think the subject says it all; is it possible to #declare a>
> blob component?

[snip]

> And it allows these sorts of constructs, just like CSG unions, to group
> components and transform them collectively...
>
> blob {
>         sphere {...}
>         cylinder {...}
>         blob {
>                 sphere {...}
>                 cylinder {...}
>                 translate ...  scale ...
>         }
>         translate ... scale ...
> }
>
> Blobs can be 'nested' to whatever depth time and memory permit.

[snip]

> I'd like some feedback on whether the above syntax examples are
> sufficient, and what sorts of deficiencies it might have... I guess it's
> best to get this sorted out fully before it's merged into POV itself!
>
> Cheers, and merry POVing to all,
>
> Darius Davis

Hi Darius,
    Great stuff! I hadn't thought of writing  a patch to do the job this way
... looks logical now I see it.
    It was really the last syntax form that I was trying to achieve with arrays
of blob components - rotate/translate a batch of components, attach to another
rotated/translated batch of components, attach rotate ... etc, etc.
    I do hope this gets approved for inclusion in the next release - possibly
let Ronald Parker have the alterations to include in the SuperPatch?

    Thanks for the reply,
        Mike Andrews.