POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : real objects : Re: real objects Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:44:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: real objects
From: Andrew Reeves
Date: 27 Oct 1998 22:55:20
Message: <363695a8.0@news.povray.org>
Lance Birch wrote in message <36356a68.0@news.povray.org>...
>There is software which will take two pictures (one from the front, one
from
>the side, at equal distances) of an object and create a "semi-3d" object
>from it.  Not very accurate for a 3D model though,

I was thinking that perhaps this idea could be extended to video. Using a
video camera, and rotating and object around in front of it, it would seem
possible to obtain a rough model of an object. By examining the centre line
of the object and both edges, you could create a 3D model. It wouldn't be
perfect and would possibly fail to recognise craters within the surface but
would certainly be cheaper than a laser scanner! A bit of editing could fix
up any anomalies after it has been converted to a triangle mesh or other
format.