POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : csg > mesh : Re: csg > mesh (and light thoughts) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: csg > mesh (and light thoughts)
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 27 Oct 1998 13:34:10
Message: <36361224.7F9229B7@dhol.com>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> This system of using the trace function could have another use, though:
> distribution of light sources over the surface of an object, to simulate a true
> area light source of arbitrary shape. In this case, neither aliasing, edge
> rounding and other problems matter: you only need the point cloud.
> I have entertained thoughts of writing a macro to do this, but I have neither
> the time nor the expertise to hope for much success. I would rather have sb.
> else do the hard work ;)
>
> Margus
>
> Ronald L. Parker wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 00:09:36 -0400, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >This is a good idea, but it will probably not work perfectly, because of
> > >multiple intersections with trace (how do you ensure that you'll get all
> > >of them?).  Also, you will run into problems with sharp edges getting
> > >rounded because a sample ray doesn't hit them directly.
> >
> > I guess you trace again after you find the first intersection,
> > starting just past the first intersection.  But I'd rather watch my
> > grass grow than actually do such a thing.  There's also the issue of
> > how you determine which points are on the same surface once you've
> > found your cloud of intersection points.  And, of course, the limits
> > to any sampling scheme: the rounded edges you mention, plus aliasing.

There are pretty good solutions in the literature for the same surface
determination and concave surface problems (e.g. Marching Triangles)
and  rounding and aliasing can be controlled to a reasonable extent.
They affect all triangulation, even mechanical, of course.  The speed
thing is the big drawback.  A pov patch would really be the way to go,
as for wrapped height fields, but this idea may help in some cases until
such is available.  As to the light idea, it sounds interesting.  I
don't think it would give the soft shadows of a true area light, though.
(Maybe something could be done with clever use of falloff and
judiciously placed shadowless fills?)  Just a random thought.

On another topic, given the frequency of requests for such, why has no
one coded a true parallel (Sun) light patch?  I haven't studied the POV
lighting code, but it doesn't seem too hard in principle.  Is there some
integration or functional hassle I am unaware of?  Or how about a Sky
light?  That would be a nonlocal light coming from the surround.
Imagine the sky_sphere as one big true area light.  This would be good
for simulating sky or star light among other things.  For some purposes,
that would be more realistic than just using global ambient.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom