POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : csg > mesh : Re: csg > mesh Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:46:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: csg > mesh
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 25 Oct 1998 01:15:55
Message: <3633a56f.28277148@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 00:09:36 -0400, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>This is a good idea, but it will probably not work perfectly, because of
>multiple intersections with trace (how do you ensure that you'll get all
>of them?).  Also, you will run into problems with sharp edges getting
>rounded because a sample ray doesn't hit them directly.

I guess you trace again after you find the first intersection,
starting just past the first intersection.  But I'd rather watch my
grass grow than actually do such a thing.  There's also the issue of
how you determine which points are on the same surface once you've
found your cloud of intersection points.  And, of course, the limits
to any sampling scheme: the rounded edges you mention, plus aliasing.