POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : csg > mesh : Re: csg > mesh Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:44:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: csg > mesh
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 24 Oct 1998 17:37:12
Message: <363248E7.C2F9E9D@xs4all.nl>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> : I'm afraid I'm asking for the impossible, but is there some way you can convert
> : a POV-object (CSG, blob) to a mesh? In theory I think it should be possible,
> : perhaps the pvengine does something like this
>
>   It's lamentably common that people do not distinguish between how raytracing
> and scanline rendering work. Since scanline rendering is much more popular
> (thanx to programs like 3DStudio), many people think that _every_ rendering
> program work like those, ie. that they just make a triangle mesh with each
> object and scanline-render them.
>   This can be clearly seen when people ask questions like "will povray
> rendering speed increase if I buy a 3D-card?" or with statements like
> "actually a sphere is a polygon mesh with very small phong-shaded triangles"
> which I once had to correct.
>   Since many people have always worked with scanline-renderers and are very
> accustomed to them, they think that every renderer work the same way.
>
>   In povray, and I think that in every raytracer, spheres are spheres, not
> polygon meshes. They are true mathematical, perfect spheres. And this applies
> to almost every primitive (except for primitives like bezier patch or
> heightfield).
>   CSG's are mathematically calculated, not approximated with polygons.
>
> --
>                                                            - Warp. -

So, what do you want to say by this? How does this answer my question?
I've never used any of your 'scanline-renderers', I'm just trying to figure out
some things. I have a POV-model consisting of some spheres and blobs and all and
I want to do some warping or morphing on this. For that I'd like to have it in a
mesh-form, because they are easy to morph.
I think you're making some unjustified assumptions.

Remco