POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Check this out ... : Re: Check this out ... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Check this out ...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Oct 1998 21:13:59
Message: <362e78c7.0@news.povray.org>
In article <362ed33e.12121109@news.povray.org> , new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg
(povray.org admin team) wrote:

>It will probably only work in IE (when I tried Netscape, it failed to get the
>plugin).
>
>  http://www.expedia.com/daily/fullcircle/australia/surround.hts
>
>I'd really like to see if we could implement some sort of viewer that would
>allow us to do a similar thing with a POV-Ray rendering ;)
>
>After all, the input image is probably just a large 360 degree strip made with
>one of those special cameras. With the appropriate rendering it should be
>possible to do the same thing with a plugin (perhaps not that one since it's
>likely to be Microsoft proprietary).

I case you do not know QuickTime VR, I have posted a sample QuickTime VR image
generated by POV-Ray. The POV-Ray scene has been in the official POV-Ray for Mac
distribution since POV-Ray 3.0! QuickTime is free and the (basic tools) to do this are
free as well. It does not only work on Macintosh, it works (very well!) on Windows
95,98 and NT 4. This is only a very small portion of the QuickTime technology. Note
that QuickTime is not only free, awailable on the major platforms, but all its formats
are *documented* (also some restricted by patents) and are *no* one way solution like
the MS Active X clones of this technology! And QuickTime is the base for the future
MPEG 4 (yes, thats no typo) standard. You can download QuickTime for free at
www.apple.com/quicktime/

The files are in povray.binaries.images. Note that for the high-res QuickTime VR movie
I used 756 * 2016 resolution (yes, QuickTime VR generates the panorama faster if a 90
degree rotated image is provided). The low res image is based on a 360*960 sized
image.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom