POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Check this out ... : Re: Check this out ... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:40:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Check this out ...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Oct 1998 13:56:43
Message: <362e124b.0@news.povray.org>
In article <362ed33e.12121109@news.povray.org> , new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg
(povray.org admin team) wrote:
>It will probably only work in IE (when I tried Netscape, it failed to get the
>plugin).
>
>  http://www.expedia.com/daily/fullcircle/australia/surround.hts
>
>I'd really like to see if we could implement some sort of viewer that would
>allow us to do a similar thing with a POV-Ray rendering ;)
>
>After all, the input image is probably just a large 360 degree strip made with
>one of those special cameras. With the appropriate rendering it should be
>possible to do the same thing with a plugin (perhaps not that one since it's
>likely to be Microsoft proprietary).

I cannot see it (Mac and Netscape), but if it is a simple 360 degree panorama, and
possibly you can zoom in and out, it plays videos somewhere inside etc. and when its
name is NetShow it is a simple QuickTimwe VR clone. Apple has integrated QuickTime VR
into QuickTime 3 which is available for Mac and Windows, is faster and has a much
better quality.

    Thorsten

PS:  For those who do not know QuickTime (or even Apple), you can get it at
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/ for free and see example of QT3 at
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/samples/index.html. BTW, this VR technology is now
nearly four years old!  For a details see e.g. the SIGGRAPH 95 proceedings book.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.
Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://www.povray.org