POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : NURBS support ? : Re: NURBS support ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:45:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS support ?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 19 Oct 1998 13:01:16
Message: <362b624c.0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 07:56:41 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>Stefan Betermieux wrote:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>> Are there any plans to implement a basic NURBS support into the Povray
>> scene description language ? I am using a NURBS modeller and it is a
>> real mess to convert everything to meshes. The file sizes and parse
>> times grow incredible. I have seen the bezier functionality in Povray,
>> perhaps someone who knows the math stuff can write a converter which
>> translates NURBS into b-splines and b-patches.
>>
>> I am currently using Rhino 3D, which supports the NURBS standard file
>> format IGES.
>
>   I haven't heard of anything about adding Nurbs support any time
>in the near future but that doesn't mean it hasn't been talked about
>and won't happen. I know what you mean about large triangle bearing
>files. They are cumbersome to say the least and lack editability.

NURBS are not much more likely to be 'editable.'  At least, not by
my definition of editable.  Nevertheless, there is at least one
effort underway to add NURBS to POV-Ray, at least as an unofficial
patch.  Converting from an industry-standard format to whatever
develops for POV will probably end up being an additional project,
however.