POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Q: Cylinder calculus? : Q: Cylinder calculus? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:49:53 EDT (-0400)
  Q: Cylinder calculus?
From: Vidar Madsen
Date: 19 Oct 1998 05:21:59
Message: <362af6a7.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all. C'est moi, again. ;-)

Just a little quickie: (Please pardon my cluelessness.)

How do I calculate the vertices of a cylinder, given the coordinates
of the (center) end-points? I need to draw a disc, and "point it" towards
the other end-point, but I'm totally stuck. The net offers plenty of
information on how to calculate the normal vector from a surface, but
I need the other way around (i.e. a surface on which <0,0,0> points
towards <x,y,z>) .. :-/

You see, I'm hacking together a "tubeify spline" function for the
(Linux/X-Win) bezier patch modeller I've been working on lately,
which (at least I think) would be neat. It could be used to create
toothpaste for Simon's bathroom, maybe? ;-)

Also, I'm looking for a neat name for the program ("SplineDesign" is a
bit too hip, right?), as well as suggestions for other effects /
transformations.

I'll put up a web page for it soon, with a "ultra-pre-alpha-alpha"
version to play with. Hopefully within the week.. (It needs the GTK
widget set for X, though.)