POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : how the **** do you make NICE grass ? : Re: how the **** do you make NICE grass ? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 04:45:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how the **** do you make NICE grass ?
From: Ken
Date: 21 Oct 1998 15:03:20
Message: <362E21C9.696F3F92@pacbell.net>
Jonatan Hedborg wrote:

> Hi!
> How do i make nice grass?
> in 3D, not colormap or whatever.
> I want it realistic...
> please help me!

  That is one of the projects (pov related) that I am working on right now.
If I come up with something I'll let you know. My current strategy is tending
towards height fields but even that method lacks finesse in that you can't have
individual grasses overlapping each other on on a height field. Trying to do
blades of grass on an individual level is next to impossible on a pc unless you
nave 1000 megs of memory and a 1000 MHz processor. Well maybe I am
exaggerating a tad but it is difficult to distribute the quantities necessary to get
the right coverage and not end up with files producing  100k + or even
300 - 500k +  objects per scene.

Ken Tyler