POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh deformation in "bones animation" : Mesh deformation in "bones animation" Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:43:23 EDT (-0400)
  Mesh deformation in "bones animation"
From: Tim Glover
Date: 19 Oct 1998 11:47:27
Message: <362B50B5.5EA4@nettally.com>
I'm hoping to create my own simple character animation system and need
some guidance in joint deformation.  I'm looking for some
algorithms/conceptual explanations for deforming meshes around "joints"
in a bones animation style system.  A web search gives only leads to
sales of professional packages (and "Warez houses").  Anybody got some
leads on the following:

1) how to scale deformation as distance from joint increases
2) how to treat interpenetration of meshes
3) how to add gridding on expanding side of joint to preserve shape

I'm a FORTRAN programmer with nearly 20 years experience throwing
formulas around, so hairy math is no problem.  I'm also very "creative"
at crafting bizarre data structures within its limited repetoire.  In
short - not a newby, not afraid of heavy comp-sci stuff.  Just not
familiar with bending, deformable meshes.

Any help greatly appreciated.

tgl### [at] nettallycom