POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Reinitialize variables each frame? Render speed decay? : Re: Reinitialize variables each frame? Render speed decay? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:32:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reinitialize variables each frame? Render speed decay?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 17 Oct 1998 21:55:33
Message: <36293AB4.4F3F@aol.com>
Chris Colefax wrote:
> Therefore, if you want to perform calculations across multiple frames,
> you either have to recalculate the necessary information for each frame
> (using the current clock value) - this is the method I use in my
> Explosion and Liquid Spray include files - or, you can save and read the
> values of the variables, as you suggested.

> In POV-Ray 3.0x, you can use the #debug directive to write

Thanks for the tips! Is there an easy way to decide the number of
iterations I want the animation to go through?  Suppose I want to test
it at 15 frames several times, then go to 150 frames.  I'm wondering if
I would have to do a whole bunch of retyping in several places in order
to key my while statements with the number of frames.

> And finally, regarding the animation slowdown

In my animation, I wanted a large translucent plastic sign to be visible
in the reflections of my Metal Men, and to be visible with a color
shadow on the ground. I ended up using (perhaps ineptly) a combination
of ambient and transmission in the color. The sign wasn't visible at the
beginning, and there were a more reflective objects at the end. This
could easily explain the slowdown.

> (quite common at that) is a problem with the automatic bounding
> threshold

I read about bounding in the 3.02 docs. When I saw that a large majority
of the ray tests had to do with my blob figures, I added bounding
statements for the blobs.  POV gave me all kinds of warning messages
about unnecessary bounding, so I removed it and went on.  I DO NOT
understand the concept of bounding: my experience destroyed any
intuition on the subject.

Greg M. Johnson
"Volunteer firefighters is fine, ma'am, but don't tell me there ain't
nobody burnin' in that buildin'," said the Fire Chief to the Libertarian
Lady.