POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Bezier patch generation : Q: Bezier patch generation Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Q: Bezier patch generation
From: Vidar Madsen
Date: 15 Oct 1998 07:21:51
Message: <3625CC13.4EBE9E57@prosalg.no>
Hello.

I'm writing a small application that is supposed to generate
bezier patches from a set of linear line-segments. The lines
are converted to bezier curves (smoothed) internally in
the program. However, when it comes to spit out the final
bicubic patch I run into a small problem. As we all know(?),
a bezier patch consists of 16 vertexes:
  A b c D
  e f g h
  i j k l
  M n o P

The control points between the different curves are calculated
automatically ("e" and "i" for the segment "A"-"M"), and seem
to work fine. However, I also need control points for the
center of the patch, "f", "g", "j" and "k". Is there a good
method to determine these? I have tried averaging a few of the
other vertices, but I always end up with sharp edges between
the adjacent patches... If anyone can help me with this, I'd
be very grateful. Even vague hints are appreciated! ;-)

TIA!

Yours,
Vidar