POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rainbow-refraction : Re: rainbow-refraction Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rainbow-refraction
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 15 Oct 1998 05:39:23
Message: <3625B487.C30E8482@peak.edu.ee>
Hendrik Knaepen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With POV-Ray3.02 I could make a color-dependant-refractive-surface using
> a texturemap with different filtered colors and different ior's.  Now
> that the ior has been moved to the interior, this is no longer
> possible.  At least not this way.  Is there another way to do this? And
> I mean directly from POV-Ray, so rendering the image a few times with
> changing refractions and colors is not what I want (it's too slow to do
> on my 486DX2 66 (Yeah, you may laugh, it has only 12Mb Ram! :-) )
>
> ZK

Heh, and I was whining about my 486DX4 120 and 16MB ;)

But about your question: as far as I see, varying ior is no longer possible
in 3.1. However, if U really need this, I saw a tutorial (_not_  a patch)
about adding dispersion to POV (I assume this is what U mean by
rainbow-refraction). It is at Daren Scot Wilson's page:
http://www.newcolor.com/darenw/DarenHome.html
Haven't tried this myself and U need to hack the source to do it, but
judging from the images it gives nice results.

Hope this helps...

Margus