POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unofficial 3.1 unix ports? : Unofficial 3.1 unix ports? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Unofficial 3.1 unix ports?
From: Juan F  Herrera
Date: 13 Oct 1998 22:27:06
Message: <3624005C.3ECD83A3@hotmail.com>
Hi,
I'm a new user to POV-ray. I'm using it to plot the energy levels of the
hydrogen atom (check out some at
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/5801/), and I'm very
excited about it. However, I make most of the numerical work in linux,
and having to switch to win95 between plots is somewhat unwieldly. I
just can't use 3.02, because I use macros and some other new features. I
tried the unofficial port at
http://www.users.ezwv.com/~mclilith/download/index.html which was
announced on this group a while back, but it was a binary that just got
me a segmentation fault. I'm thinking about porting the ms-dos source to
3.1 (having just command-line POV session would be OK to me), but before
I try that I thought I'd first find out whether anyone already has
ported to linux or some other *n*x.

Also, JOC, just what's it that is delaying the official 3.1 unix
release? I'd think most of the numerical/algorithmic functionality would
already be there, and if anything would cause trouble it would something
like the X interface. Or is it that this release will feature a
sophisticated editor, just as the win95 one? Personally, even so I'd be
using Emacs and an external viewer most of the time, and I guess many
unix users would do so too, so I would ask: wouldn't it be worthy to
release an interim version with no graphical output?

Sorry if all this just amounts to unfocused newbie questions :-)

Juan F. Herrera