POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!) : Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!)
From: povray org admin team
Date: 10 Oct 1998 08:52:12
Message: <361f48a5.1749525@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <"gregj56590:-)"@aol.com> wrote:

>It ain't me, as I'm not a programmer, nor in the Czech Republic.  But to teach me
>more about the internet, and perhaps increase the remorse of the offending party,
>could you please tell me why this increases your support hassles.
>
>Is it legal liability, loss of copyright, or people asking you for help, or what?

Please read the URL given in the original posting. It explains it in a brief
manner.

In detail, the reasons are:

People write to us and complain that we're not seeing their postings, or that
we're 'censoring' them (as one user claimed) because they have seen postings
from news.povray.org on USENET, then tried to reply to them on USENET. Since we
don't take a feed from USENET, we never even saw them, but they naturally
expected them to turn up here. This is the main reason.

[We will never take a feed from USENET as it would then mean accepting all the
crap that goes with it, MMF, SPAM, porno ads, the works.]

Plus, the fact that these messages are being fed out means that I, amongst
others, have to de-spamify my email address when posting here. Originally I
didn't. That's a minor thing but I shouldn't need to.

Finally, some users may chose not to post things here that they would otherwise
have posted (such as some of their scene source, images, etc) if they suspect
that it will be fed out to the world, due to copyright and so forth.

So, all in all, having this server connected to USENET against our wishes is a
right royal pain in the ass, plus it potentially degrades the usefulness of it
due to the above copyright issues.

Clear enough ?