POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Superfast renderings : Re: Superfast renderings Server Time
13 Aug 2024 08:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Superfast renderings
From: Rainer Mager
Date: 8 Oct 1998 23:52:40
Message: <361d7a78.0@news.povray.org>
Here I go replying to myself...

    I've done a bit more testing and I've found this:

    I downloaded the MSDOS version and ran it on the same scene as before.
This was in a DOS box within NT. I found that the animation was rendered
about 125% faster in the MSDOS version (44 seconds vs 99 seconds). I also
rendered a single large image and it was about 21% faster (57 seconds vs 69
seconds).
    I know that the Windows version has a certain amount of extra overhead
(displaying PPS, etc) but it seems excessive.

    Another thing I've noticed is that the povray process will occassionally
jump up and use a lot of the CPU even when I'm NOT rendering (i.e., just
doing edits). The odd thing is that when this happens the editor will freeze
for a few seconds. This happens even though the editor's priority is set
higher than the renderer.

    Has anyone else seen anything like this? I remember seeing someone else
w/ NT seeing very little CPU usage.

Thanks,

--Rainer