POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!) : Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Potential shut-down of this news server (Czech users please read!)
From: povray org admin team
Date: 7 Oct 1998 21:32:13
Message: <361c06cc.1473949@news.povray.org>
"Pan" <pan### [at] syixcom> wrote:
>As already mentioned the authentification imposes overhead that is not
>acceptable, but if the password keeping functions were automated or if
>volunteers offered to help admin the pass file???

We'd still have the same problem. The person responsible for this abuse would
simply get a password and start feeding the articles again. We don't know who
it is.

>Seems like the web based groups (which are already done) is going to
>be the only answer. I hope that if the news server per se is shut down
>that the web functions will still be availble?

Nope. If it's gone it's gone. The web functions aren't up to what we want
(there's no way to post with attachments for example, which is very important
for this server).

>Unless - we can get specific info on who is messing around and then
>apply appropriate pressure ... if you do get reliable id data then please
>let me know - there are people who could apply that pressure - if we know
>exactly who is doing this.

The best thing to do is attempt to work out who's in charge out there at the
university of agriculture and write to them. Writing to the server ops probably
won't help because if I understand things correctly, they have become known for
doing this sort of thing. I doubt they'd be responsive (especially given the
fact that I've already written once to the given contact address and have had
no reply).

IMO applying pressure on the university is probably the only way to stop this.